Spam Time!


And now for something completely different. Spammer listing: Another public service from Stormbringer Productions™. It's the evening before Thanksgiving in America. After all the turkey and things, perhaps the processed pork product that the unpleasantness in your e-mail is named after might sound like a nice change.

If you want to get involved in fighting spam, there are two heavy-hitters. The first one I use extensively, it's "Knujon" ("No Junk" spelled backwards). Just register with them and then forward your e-mail. Read the details at the site. The second is more involved, but it is another aggressive, reputable opponent in the war on spam: Spamcop. I do not use it yet, but here's the link. Since Yahoo! AOL and other providers do not seem overly concerned with the spam that their customers receive, I take the extra step and report it, even though it's in my spam folder. When certain domains are reported enough times, they get blacklisted and other domains will automatically disallow mail from those.

Spam does not have to be the obvious stuff. Repeated mail from someone you told to stop sending, especially when they send CCs to dozens of people, is also a form of spam. I report this as well, so services like knology.com and O2.co.uk should wise up and take action.

Here's the background on this. I do occasional article on spam and scams, but figure my readers are intelligent people and will not fall for the obvious "send money and I'll make you rich" or "you won money in a lottery you never entered, send money" scams. Hopefully, you know better than to click on links for pharmaceutical products that have been misspelled to avoid the spam filters ("vaigara", "cia1is" and so on). And if you click on something that went into your spam filter, I don't want to hear about it.

In one article, I listed some outrageous-sounding domain names. Those appeared in searches, bringing people to this Weblog. That got me thinking that perhaps people wanted confirmation that those domains are bad news. Now, I have many filters set up, but I've noticed some things. I'll make up a name now, "ScumbagSpammer.com". I'll get mail from ScumbagSpammer.com for a few "products" (mingle@scumbagspammer.com, drugs@scumbagspammer.com &c.), and then they move on. Heck, I've had the exact same mail from different "senders", so these people are getting sneakier.

It's too bad that they often pretend to be legitimate companies.

Before I commence, watch out for this "get your parcel" stuff:
Order No.: 368148143681364 
Order Date: Saturday, 12 October 2012 04:11 PM 
Dear Customer, Your parcel has arrived at the post office an November 12. 
Our postman was unable to deliver the parcel to your address. To rec *+++ eive a parcel you must go to the nearest office and show your postal receipt. Thank you for using our services. 
? FedEx 1995-2012 
I don't know if it's worth making this a regular feature, since the most important stuff is above. Here's the hall of shame listing:

krolded.com 
ocontical.com
pitypous.com 
ocasid.com
billuell.com
ofaven.com
guanemp.com
jeavocke.com
idibels.com
oogimbate.com
punduding.com
oxygda.com
puttive.com
ayison.com 
nocemeect.com
ornavock.com
amewing.com
napiners.com
limaticar.com
knopsiver.com
kopsit.com
irrioulan.com
gitiony.com  

Popular posts from this blog

The Amazing Super Powers of the Mighty Atheist™

Where Does It Stop?

Keeping My Wife at a Distance Online