Sock Puppet — A Confession

Buona sera. Almost from my first day on the Internet (back when we used carrier pigeons, wires and tin cans), people have been bandying about the term "sock puppet". It's a fake online persona (not to be confused with a pseudonym, such as "Stormbringer" or "Cowboy Bob"), generally used for deception.

I get accused of having sock puppet accounts. Also, I have seen other people accused of the same "crime". The most outrageous accusation in this area is that I made up people who hate me, so I can have someone to fight with, which would include making up entire Websites and Weblogs.

Also, on more than one occasion, I would have to create entire sites for people who agree with me on more than one occasion. (People so desperate to attack are downright sick in the head, I promise you.) Mind you, there were times I went to a Weblog and read comments that I wrote but did not recognize ("I wrote that? Hey, that's pretty good!"), as well as reading comments that sounded just like me. Perhaps I posted in my sleep? Nah. 

The criteria people use for accusing me of having a sock puppet account? Similarity of "speech" patterns.

In addition, if someone agrees with or compliments me, it must be me using a fake account; if I receive a comment that agrees with my post, I have been accused of creating the identity for that purpose. Duh! As if it's impossible for someone to actually agree with me. People are so blinded by hate, they want to believe that everyone agrees with them in their belief that the object of their hate must be eradicated. They show their own blithering idiocy by doing this.

Anyway, I figured that I was missing out on some fun. So, I made up a sock puppet that is not linked to me in any way (like my other pseudonyms). This account is "independent". I call it Mr. Stupnya. But I do not understand the popularity of sock puppet accounts, because they make it so difficult to type:


Comments

Paul Baird said…
I'm constantly surprised when people post comments on my blog. I frequently post without remembering that people read my stuff.

Good on you for reading M and M.
Bob Sorensen said…
I kind of thought you'd spot that. Actually, I'm not into that one much, but I hope to get more acquainted. Do you think they'd be amused by that picture?
SB- uhm did you type this up with the sock on? ;-)

Your co-workers must be a hoot!
Bob Sorensen said…
Well, I do manage to provide them with some amusement at times. Especially the ones that I asked to take the pictures with my camera phone. And the one that I asked for the Russian word for "foot" got a giggle out of it.
Is that vinegar on your desk?
Bob Sorensen said…
It's whiskey in a vinegar bottle. People leave it alone that way.

Yes, it's really vinegar. I add some to a glass of water every day, having bought into the "apple cider vinegar is good for you" thing. I looked it up online, and I think I've had positive results on the blood glucose levels. Especially when I leave the Milky Way bars alone.

It's on the desk because it keeps getting taken out of the storage area!
Excellent habit!
You should try it 'raw' sometime- even better- cultures! Yummy!

Popular posts from this blog

The Amazing Super Powers of the Mighty Atheist™

Keeping My Wife at a Distance Online

Where Does It Stop?