Double Sneakiness

Thieves respect property. They merely wish the property to become their property that they may more perfectly respect it.
— Gilbert K. Chesterton

Buon giorno. No, my title is not talking about sneaky Basement Cat. Instead, I'm talking about a telephone call I received from an almost-victim. Fortunately, she made the right choices and did not get burned. She related her story to me so that I can sound yet another scam warning.

And you know that I like exposing the scammers.

This one reminds me of the XP Antivirus (and similar names) scams. That one gives you a fake pop-up, telling you that you have many viruses while it is scanning your computer. (The last time I saw this, they were using animated gif files to simulate scanning.) Often, the victim downloads the malware because they were tricked into it.

In this case, the target receives a telephone call from someone claiming to represent Microsoft. The scammer (often reported to have an Indian accent) says that Microsoft has detected that the target's computer has many viruses. In this case, she was told to go to the Start button, click on "Run", and type "INF", which accesses the "INF" file. She was then told that all of those files were infected. Sneaky, huh? Nice way to display a number of files, but those belong there. In one of own secure computers, that process shows over 1,500 files. (If I had that many infected files, I would be fortunate to have my computer working at all!) In addition, she was told that their technician was looking at her files while they talked, even though access was not granted. That last trick exploits (but probably inadvertently, I don't want to give the scammers too much credit) the fear of Microsoft and it's amazing power.

From there, she was directed to a couple of sites, one was Log Me In Rescue as well as
piopcsupport.com/us. "Dot Com Slash US?" Now, I have no idea if the actual companies are into doing dishonest sales efforts, but invoking the mighty name of Microsoft would give you a red flag, because rich and powerful MS would not be using an outside site and solicitation. In fact, MS has their own denial of this trick. Here is another discussion on the scam. 

Apparently, they want to gain access to your computer. Then you know what comes next, right, class? Say it all together:


"Personal information!"

Great! Right the first time! My regular readers know that I keep on preaching about almost never giving personal information to strangers, especially when they call you unexpectedly. In this case, the double-whammy is that they called and said there are viruses (reminding me of the "XP Antivirus" trick online), and then have you "see for yourself" that you have said viruses.

It's worth repeating: Do not give out information (or access to your computer). If the call comes from your credit card company, for instance, you call them back and ask if there is a problem; do not give your credit card number to a cold caller, even if it's to a supposed charity like the Secret Policeman's Ball. Capice?

Yes, I do like writing these kinds of articles. Because they get many hits, I'm pretty certain that I'm doing some good.

Here is something ironic: I still sing the praises of the free product, Microsoft Security Essentials. Very highly rated anti-virus and spyware tool. Funny that the scammers were pretending to be from Microsoft, who gives away an excellent product that does what they were selling.

So, class, stay safe and don't be bullied. Stay out of shadows.

Comments

Silly Goose said…
My pc was down for 2 days over a virus that claims it's a 'windows warning' to restart the computer- and you can't get out of it. If you try to just shut the pc down, it starts loading the virus and looks exactly like a windows firewall type program.

This beast is on the move.
Bob Sorensen said…
Sounds like the XP Antivirus. If it's still happening to you, you may want to click the link above because that has information on how to remove it.

You may want to invest in Revo Uninstaller (time, not money, one version is free). I use it frequently, especially when I get my paws on a new computer, reformatted or someone wants help, I yank out the bundled antivirus trial bloatware so I can put in Microsoft Security Essentials, also free and highly rated.
Anonymous said…
I used to use AVG, which is highly recommended by users. It seems to me that Microsoft Security Essentials has a "smaller footprint" on the system, and it's even higher rated. Also, if I remember right, AVG had changed and I wasn't happy with that part. It is still receiving high marks, however.
Silly Goose said…
Stormbringer reposting comment from Silly Goose:

Storm, it appears that we killed it with AVG(free too), but I am going to mark that link, as I would like to run it too, just for peace of mind.

I'm grateful to the Lord that it didn't wipe me out!

I might reformat. For now, I'm running the AVG on everything- which slows me down, bummer.

I have my pc set for 2 users...If it hadn't been for the "spare", we would not have been able to get rid of it. It completely took over my usual 'user'. Strange how it worked!

Popular posts from this blog

The Amazing Super Powers of the Mighty Atheist™

Where Does It Stop?

Keeping My Wife at a Distance Online