Tragic Tales 4: No Tomorrow

Buona sera. I thought I was done with writing about "Monica", but there are a few more important points to add.

She was overly fond of money. In fact, lies were a means to acquiring more money and not parting with her own. One of her biggest secrets was that she had some money stashed away that only she knew about. Money changes people. They get greedy and want more. It's almost strange, you don't have to be rich to be greedy, and you don't have to be poor to avoid loving the stuff. What was she holding onto her money for, anyway? Tomorrow?

Monica did not have any more tomorrows. Ironically, her money went for her own burial expenses.

"...say you'll be all right come tomorrow, but tomorrow might not be here for you..."
— Lynyrd Skynyrd

Monica made her plans. We all have our plans, dreams, hopes, expectations, dreads, fears, whatever. But I have to be very direct with you: Today may be your last day on Earth. Like these people:
They expected to have their tomorrows.

Aside from murder, misadventure or freak accidents, we can die with friends and family in earthquakes, tornadoes, terrorist attacks —

"Cowboy Bob! You're bringing me down! Where is this going?"

OK, you got the point that we're all mortal? Good.

It's important to me to emphasize to you that we all need to be ready to take our final journeys. At some time or another, we're all going to meet God face to face and give an account of our lives.

"But Uncle Bob, I already have my religion. I'm very sincere in it."

Hooray for you. But guess what? I don't care about your religion, or anybody else's. Nobody is really concerned about religion, you see. God doesn't care about religion. It's all about a relationship. You can have a saving relationship with God, through Jesus.


"Aw, get over that, Cowboy Bob! I'm a good person. At least, as good as the next."

Let's look at that. God laid out his standard in the Ten Commandments. Have you ever told a lie, even a little one? Sure, we all have, even "little white lies". Have you ever stolen anything, even something small? Yes, that music download counts... Hey, how about taking God's name in vain? Funny, even people who do not believe in God will use his name as a profanity. Did you ever look at someone with lust? I know I have, but you're not getting names. Anyway, Jesus said that looking at someone with lust, you've already committed adultery in your heart (Matt. 5.28).

Shall I keep going? Nah, I think you get the idea, we've all broken a few of the commandments, if not all of them. Therefore, we're guilty of breaking God's law.

So, if you, Good Person, stand before God on your Judgment and try to get into Heaven, you're in for an unpleasant surprise, because you've broken his commandments. And by then it'll be too late. Heaven or Hell? Seems obvious to me that God, who is holy and righteous, cannot allow us into Heaven. But he made a way for us, even though he didn't have to.

Don't run off, it's not too late. While there's life, there's hope.

Let me lay it on the line. We're all sinners (Romans 3.23), and we deserve the penalty (Romans 6.23). Guess what? God sent his only son (John 3.16) to die for us. If we admit we're sinners, repent (Bible talk that means to give up or to turn from) our sins, accept Jesus as the lord of our lives, we have Heaven in our future. And he is with us in our lives on Earth.

I won't kid you, that's not my job. It's not easy to follow Jesus and be his disciple. But it's most definitely worth it.
What's stopping you, really? Pride? Sorry, Buttercup, you can't make it into Heaven on your own "goodness", or merits, or religion, or anything else. Just faith in Jesus. Or are you afraid of what your friends might say? Ha, some friends they are. Family? They'll have to adjust, won't they? Your own ego, that you "don't believe in God"? Spare me. Evidence for God exists all around, but are you willing to believe? Or maybe you have a "pet sin", some activity that you won't give up that's keeping you from God. Big mistake. It's really not worth it.

Are your waiting for tomorrow? Tomorrow may not happen, and your fate will be sealed.

Let me add this, that I've taunted people (impolite, I know) that I am looking forward to meeting my mother (who died of a malignant glioma), father (who had Dementia and did not even know who he was), brother (who had Down Syndrome) in Heaven, and all will be perfect, free of pain and in our right minds. (Monica's family are expecting to meet her again in Heaven, despite her flaws and mistakes, because I'm told that she accepted Christ at an early age.) People who deny that God exists have nothing to offer. I've studied, and believe that the Bible is true. That's a far cry from lame arguments of, "No, it's not!" Those people sound so childish, as well as ignorant of history, archaeology, etc. I'll take the Bible over pitiful excuses for disbelief any day. But I digress.

"Now is the day of salvation" (2 Cor. 6.2).

If you want to know more about getting right with God, click here. I really hope and pray that you do it. And do it soon, because tomorrow might not be here for you. He's ready to talk to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Amazing Super Powers of the Mighty Atheist™

Keeping My Wife at a Distance Online

Where Does It Stop?