Learning to Photograph Better

by Cowboy Bob Sorensen 

People require illustrations on posts and such, but there is a risk of copyright infringement. I cringe when I see bloggers and site owners using images that are not free to use, as they are risking disciplinary action from their providers, or even lawsuits. Shoot your own pics, Sherman.

Although I do not always have item-specific photos and illustrations when necessary (use extreme caution, many can be found). Sometimes I use related images — occasionally with effects, especially my own pictures. Part of what I call "nature therapy" (seriously, get out in nature) is taking pictures.

Esopus Lighthouse on left, barge on right, all on Hudson River (photo by Cowboy Bob Sorensen)
This child is old enough to remember being selective when taking snapshots because we had to send them away for processing and pay for them. Even the crummy ones. It's so different now. We can use digital cameras and take dozens or hundreds at a setting, depending on storage space and battery limits. Check them later and delete what we don't want. Sometimes I just go nuts clicking away. Heh, one time with a new phone, the camera kept going off while I was walking and I got about seventy. I used some of the pictures, blurs and all, as effect illustrations.

No, I do not have sophisticated camera equipment. Cameras on cell phones are getting very good. Unfortunately, my hands are unsteady and I use a tripod that takes cameras and cell phones (I was steady enough to get this picture of it in action). Then I give them away. There are several free-to-use sites, and I have mine here. But there are requirements.

When reading the guidelines, I learned that Unsplash is operated by photographers. While God gave me a good eye, there are things I need to learn. Using the word photographer in the sense of "someone who takes pictures," I'm in. But it has the connotation of someone with training, skill, experience, high-end equipment, and more. So I generally self-identifying with that word. The guidelines from the photographers led me to reject the idea of uploading the picture above.* Also, I took it with a high megapixel setting and cropped it. It made it only slightly better.

I was excited because I could make a tribute to Charlene with the lighthouse and a barge on the Hudson taken by a place she and I had visited. Take a critical eye to it. Since it was in the morning, the sun was at the wrong angle for this. Very little color. Try again some other time.

Probably everyone can learn to take better pictures. There are tutorials online, including YouTube and such. Also, if people would simply pay attention and learn from their mistakes (be honest about poor photos that were taken), that could go a long way. Mayhaps even talking to professional photographers if they're not busy.

So, I'm learning and expect to improve. Bloggers, site owners — be careful. Especially Christians because we don't want to dishonor God by stealing.

* Running that picture through effects at LunaPic at least gave it some color, but that is not acceptable to upload to such sites: 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Amazing Super Powers of the Mighty Atheist™

Where Does It Stop?

Bravado Incarnate