Bigotry through Low Expectations

by Cowboy Bob Sorensen 

In the formerly United States, today is the conclusion of Black History Month. Some things I want to say will rile a few folks. (Of course, those will be the ones who "think" with their emotions and are less concerned with actual thought.) This material came together for me in a big box store.

Like many places, our shopping experience is allegedly enhanced by the music system. The store had several announcements about being proud to support black-owned businesses. They also exhorted people to buy items made by those businesses.

Limestone near Rosendale, NY railroad trestle, Photo by Cowboy Bob Sorensen (modified with FotoSketcher
The messages on that radio rubbed me the wrong way — they struck me as manipulative.

Conservative talk show host Chris Plante refers to the "soft bigotry of low expectations." The messages sound like "white man's burden" because they need the help of white people in order to succeed. Blacks also need to be prioritized in anyone's patronage. (Interesting that there is little to no mention of Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month or patronizing their businesses in May.) Stuff is in the store for Easter and St. Patrick's Day, and some of the glitz says "Women owned."

Let's be blunt here. Blacks, women, other groups supposedly cannot make it on their own, they need the help of those who are assumed to be more successful. (If you assume I'm successful because I'm white, guess what, Wilberforce? That's racist!) They cannot compete.

Not hardly! Such a coddling attitude will keep any of those groups down and decrease incentive to succeed. Those who are indeed successful most likely grabbed the reins and galloped to good business practices and competition.

"You're being racist, Cowboy Bob!"

Nope. As biblical creationists have pointed out for a mighty long time, there is only one race! Racism is an evolutionary construct. Let's get back to it now.

Long ago, I picked up some directories (small booklets) with listings of Christian-owned businesses. I was enthusiastic and wanted to support my own kind. However, there were some in there that I knew did not have Christian business practices, they just wanted the publicity. Today, if I saw one of those directories, I might pick one up for curiosity.

My loyalty is to my wallet. So is yours, admit it. We want good items at fair prices that will meet our needs. It just now occurred to me: How many black and women-owned businesses want to receive special treatment instead of earning their successes? That's a good ending point for this article. Hope I gave you some things to think about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Amazing Super Powers of the Mighty Atheist™

Where Does It Stop?

Keeping My Wife at a Distance Online