Haunted Hospital, Gaslighting, or...

Here I am at Westchester Medical Center waiting for open heart surgery for a double or triple bypass in a couple of days. There was a strange sequence of events that got me here, I was originally expecting to have a short visit to the Urgent Care for a different problem.

This is being written using an old cell phone, speech to text, and other technological wizardry.

There is a small table on wheels just under 3 ft long for me to use. I did not notice before, it has a small drawer that is not very deep. I put some things in there that I wanted to be close to me. I needed something, went to look for it - and it was gone.

Creepy hospital, Unsplash/ Andy Li

Time to write off on a short but relevant side trail.

The word gaslighting is overused nowadays, but it is still something real. When used correctly, the word involves psychological manipulation to make someone deny their perception of reality -  or even their own sanity. You can see that it is malicious, not just a mistake or something.

Also, people who have read my material may have seen articles that draw inspiration from those so-called real ghost video collections. There are those videos as well as tales told about haunted hospitals. I joked with the staff here when they're transporting me for various tests and things, "Are we going to the haunted wing?"

However, I do not believe in ghosts per se. Any kind of activity that is recorded on video or something that has a semblance of documentation and cannot be explained, I would be seriously considering demonic activity other than the so-called spirits of those who were there in the hospital before.

Back to the main trail now.

A nurse had just shown up while I was looking. I told her what happened and that the drawer was empty. She commenced to searching her ownself. (I should add that I am somewhat confined because I have tubes and wires attached to me so I cannot get up and roam around.) Nothing was turning up where it would likely be, and I was beginning to think I would have to make some security calls to do some damage prevention.

Maybe it's funny in a way but the nurse certainly didn't want me to be having a heart attack while I'm waiting to have heart surgery. Is that a correct example of irony?

She found the things right there in the drawer that I had looked in earlier.

Some people might say that I gaslighted myself. I kind of wonder that at the time, but I have been under a lot of stress and lack of sleep the past several days in here. Still, it is weird that I looked in that drawer and did not see those things.

For fun, take a look at the one in the link, look for the flaws in reasoning such as lack of evidence, unwillingness to consider other possibilities and explanations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Amazing Super Powers of the Mighty Atheist™

Where Does It Stop?

Keeping My Wife at a Distance Online