A Basic but Effective Internet Security Tactic

by Cowboy Bob Sorensen

The most effective way to keep your identity, finances, privacy, and so on safe online is to never go online. Easy enough... Unfortunately, since internet activity is ubiquitous and even expected, it is impractical to stay offline and live in this world.

There are owlhoots looking to get information and money, and many are very skilled. Software developers are constantly updating against viruses, phishing, and other hacks — which is one reason to let your operating system, virus scanner, and other software update itself.

There is internet security software, but people need to be cautious and educated. There is a simple way to reduce risks that involves common sense.
Cybercrime warning, Pixabay / Gerd Altmann (geralt)
Okay, we know that most folks cannot completely avoid going online to do certain minimal things. Sneaky people still find ways of causing people harm. Education is extremely important, and I reckon a good measure of suspicion is useful. Experience is helpful but getting that also has risks because people are exposed to sites that may be harmful.

Suspicious Facebook Messenger message with link (used under federal Fair Use provisions for educational purposes)
Study on this: How well do you know your social(ist) media friends? This child has friends in New Zealand, Canada, 'Straya, Thailand, and other places besides the US. But only online. Some alleged friends are wicked and waiting. Unfortunately, the ones we trust can have their accounts hacked. Another trick is to copy an account that doesn't secure the friends list and other personal information, then send out friend or follower requests. People oblige and put themselves at risk.

"My account was hacked, Cowboy Bob!"

No, it was copied. I got your friend request and saw that the account was extremely new, even though we'd been connected for a long time. Because of my education, experience, and suspicion, I deleted it.

The screenshot above didn't pass the sniff test. It had vague wording that reeked of scam (a combination of mint, dung, and cordite). Using my resources, I tested it. The results said it was fine, but I still wasn't going to click on it. Another test showed that it was a redirect that went to YouTube. That's silly to put a disguised link to a valid site. Mayhaps the original content had been removed, so I was sent to the YouTube landing page.

Also, the "friend" that sent me the message seldom has anything to do with me; he sent me a friend request that I accepted, and he moved on. So that was another reason for suspicion.

The basic thing is not to click on links, open files, and so on that you are not expecting. That's easy. They say your account is in trouble and has been suspended, so click on a link or a file? Not hardly! The best thing to do is to go to the company or individuals on your own, without that link, or even call them and verify things. (One of my favorites is when I was told my Citibank account was suspended, and I don't even have one.) Don't click, and verify with the source if you are concerned. That's the basic but effective internet security tactic.

I want to emphasize one other thing: Watch the wording. Most of these things don't use your name or any part of your account number, so that's a reason not to panic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Amazing Super Powers of the Mighty Atheist™

Keeping My Wife at a Distance Online

Where Does It Stop?