Logical Thinking and the Lack Thereof

by Cowboy Bob Sorensen 

This article will be linked in another about how misotheists and evolutionists try to put Christians and creationists on the defensive, but is a stand-alone example of how logical thinking is useful in daily life. Really. It's not just for apologetics, science, and academia. While social media is a hotbed of irrationality, I challenged someone to see what would happen. It paid off.

Logic is not just for apologetics and academia, but is useful in daily life. This amazing exchange is with someone who preferred to attack.
San Francisco at night image credit: Unsplash / Trevor Wilson
The HBO documentary Allen v Farrow was trending on Twitter. (I don't have or want HBO.) While I liked a few of Woody Allen's movies and a couple of his books long ago, I really have no interest in the subject. Justice may be done and the truth may come out now, but there is no doubt that when he stands before the Creator in judgment, there will be righteous judgment with no appeal.

I noticed a comment by Paul Haynes. (I learned later that he is a co-producer of another HBO documentary that I did not watch called I'll be Gone in the Dark, and got his ownself in front of the camera. This documentary is based on a true crime book by Michell McNamara.) Anyway, he wrote this:

This absurd remark put a burr under my saddle, so I challenged him to back it up:

Instead of doing so, he simply attacked me:


Since he was dodging and attacking, I realized that took logic and civil discourse off the table, so I gave him a few taunts (thread is here). Eventually, he made this astonishing remark:


What in tarnation? There are several fallacies here, and I have seen these tricks numerous times. One is that it is a blatant non sequitur (does not follow). Also, when he claims to be "smart enough" that he never filed for bankruptcy is an abusive ad hominem, irrelevant, and slams millions of people. I replied:


When someone keeps dodging (and even resorts to abuse), we can realize that we are wasting our time, shake the dust off our feet and move on. In my case, also write it up as an object lesson.

By the way, he criticized my vocabulary, but that strikes this child as a mite hypocritical when he makes remarks like this:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Amazing Super Powers of the Mighty Atheist™

Where Does It Stop?

Keeping My Wife at a Distance Online