John Wayne Values

"It's kind of a sad thing when a normal love of country makes you a super patriot. I do think we have a pretty wonderful country, and I thank God that He chose me to live here."
— John Wayne

Buona sera,
Pilgrims and Pilgrettes. Yours truly still has a Duke buzz going.

After watching John Wayne movies and reading some biographical information, I see more than ever that he was the embodiment of strong American values. Something that bothered me on a quotes page: "...major American motion-picture Actor who embodied the image of the strong, taciturn cowboy or soldier and who in many ways personified the idealized American values of his era."

"...of his era"? Say it ain't so, Joe! Not only do his values apply today, but we need those values.
He did not want to get on a soapbox and preach. Instead, he'd say it through his movies.

But when he did speak his mind, it was straight to the point. Just like he did in his "pictures".

"I want to play a real man in all my films, and I define manhood simply: men should be tough, fair, and courageous, never petty, never looking for a fight, but never backing down from one either."

And another to go with the first:
"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble."

This gem fits very well:
"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

Yep, no nonsense.

And his political views were startling for Hollywood. I have to state here that I detest it when someone will use their star power to influence someone's vote, such as people named Baldwin, Streisand and others. In The Duke's case, he did not spend years campaigning for a cause or to have a President thrown out of office. It turns out that he had strong Conservative views (another trait that I find endearing).

"If it hadn't been for football and the fact I got my leg broke and had to go into the movies to eat, why, who knows, I might have turned out to be a liberal Democrat."

"I don't think a fella should be able to sit on his backside and receive welfare. I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."

"
We've made mistakes along the way, but that's no reason to start tearing up the best flag God ever gave to any country."
"Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded . . . they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." This one is very timely. My experience with Liberals is exactly the same; freedom of speech, except when you disagree with them.

He was his own man, however. The Duke broke ranks with the Republicans on the issue of the Panama Canal, and sided with Jimmy Carter. Don't know if I agree, but he took his stand according to his own beliefs. That is something I can respect.

The Conservative movement needs John Wayne today. America needs John Wayne today. But the values he possessed are in the hearts of freedom-loving men and women all over this country.

John Wayne was given the Congressional Gold Medal just before he died. The inscription that was requested for him, and granted? "John Wayne — American". Straight to the point.


Comments

Anonymous said…
I LOVE this article! I think John Wayne was a great man with values that he stood up for, and that is something I respect and love him for. We do need more strong individuals like him in today's politically correct society.
Bob Sorensen said…
Well, thank ya, Little Sister. (Oops, slipped into my "True Grit" John Wayne voice there for a minute.) If you happen to come back here, you may like to follow this link to some other stuff I did on John Wayne and other cowboys.

Popular posts from this blog

The Amazing Super Powers of the Mighty Atheist™

Keeping My Wife at a Distance Online

Where Does It Stop?