March 8, 2011

Negativity

Never try to teach a pig to sing.
It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.

Buona sera. I believe that I have reached a turning point in writing these articles, but more about that later.

There are a few irritations on my mind today, and you get the distinct pleasure of reading about them. Isn't that lovely? First, about stupidity and selfishness:
  • A jerk on the third floor of the apartment building cranks up his stereo at all hours of the day or night. He does not appear to have a job. I thought he was sponging off his girlfriend, but she ran off weeks ago. Probably couldn't stand the noise. The local constabulary are worthless, as are the complex's management.
  • The crazy old crone next to the jerk on the third floor also seems to groove on making noise. Vacuuming the floor at night, pounding on the walls and floor at strange hours, pacing like an elephant at the Ant Stomping Festival and more. Weird. My favorite strange thing was hearing her yelling and cursing while I was coming home from work. Then I saw broken glass being flung out her patio door onto the sidewalk below.
  • Neil's workplace is a huge modern international corporation based in the United States, employing tens of thousands of people. And yet, their management principles are rooted in the Industrial Revolution; an employee's value is based on production numbers of one sort or another. Sure, it's reasonable to establish guidelines for productivity, but some people are in fear for their jobs because of unreasonable demands — demands that have the expectation of reading corporate nonsense e-mails, perusing training documents, consulting with superiors, having meetings and all the rest of the typical corporate nightmare. I, for one, do not accept that my worth is measured by bean counters. My worth comes from the Lord and doing my best to please him.
There ya go, three very irritating things that are on my mind. I have to admit that I take some satisfaction in venting on this stuff, capice?

This article is getting negative, innit?

I do not like being negative. Yes, some people positively get a charge out of conducting negativity, even if it's terminal... Are these electricity jokes doing anything for you?

Well, it's true, some people only write and talk about negative things. They are stress puppies, living to whine and complain. Who wants them around? I certainly do not.

There are people like those I have written about recently who live to hate, berate, mock and build themselves up by putting others down. They have little, if anything, constructive to say. The little bit of time that I spent reading their negative material brings me down as well, so I am going to go from seldom to never — or as close to "never" as I can get.

We need to involve ourselves with positive people. That's a common psychological technique to help your attitude and deal with depression, so I am not going to repeat it here.

What I need to do now, however, is say that we cannot avoid negativity altogether. Otherwise, problems would not be identified and solved. Problems come when negativity is excessive. If we spend too much time on glum reading material and bad news, it gets depressing. Even more so if we spend any more time than we have to in hanging around people who are too negative too often.

Listen, I don't care who you are, this is true: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." (Philippians 4.8 NIV) Think about good stuff more than bad stuff, capice?
Now, I said that I believe I have reached a turning point in writing these articles. I have demonstrated in several posts that there are many Internet atheists who are irrational, vicious, hateful, incapable of reasoning, spiteful, morally bankrupt and brain damaged. Except for an article on occasion (and one or two are pending right now), I do not see a need to continue with it.

Anyone who wants to see my material on those subjects can simply do a search on "atheist" or "atheism" in the upper left search box, and then they can see how I slapped some of the Internet atheists silly, but they still could not understand basic reasoning. I have educated the public about those animals, and I cannot fight with them any longer because they refuse to learn. It's like trying to teach a pig to sing. My time is better spent in other pursuits.

But I won't promise to avoid the occasional cheap shot. Hey, if they can do it...

Arrivederci!

Subscribe in a reader